Our weekly in-person sangha meetings are facilitated by rotating members of the Care Taking Council (CTC) and other interested sangha members. As of April 2022 we are now meeting in person at the Humboldt Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.
- 1st Thursday of the month, our Dharma Teacher Alexa Singer-Telles offers a dharma talk and our gathering extends from 7 to 8:30.
- 2nd and 3rd Thurs of the month we have a “regular” gathering, see below.
- 4th Thurs of the month, we listen to and discuss the Five Mindfulness Trainings (5MT).
- 5th Thurs – in months with a 5th Thursday, we often plan a potluck gathering outdoors at the HUUF. Check the calendar to confirm the schedule on a given date.
Zoom Gathering Format (approximate)
- Facilitator opens gathering
* Sitting Meditation (20 minutes)
Three bells to begin, one bell to close
* Introduction/”Weather Report” (optional, 5-10 minutes)
Each person introduces themselves, gives a very short (1 -3 word) check-in as to how they are, and calls on the next person.
* Dharma Reading, 5 Mindfulness Trainings or video sharing (10-20 minutes)
Facilitator will start the dharma reading, recitation of the 5 MTs or the video.
- Dharma Sharing (10-15 minutes)
People have an opportunity to share something from their heart about the reading or video, their practice, or other relevant thoughts. See Dharma sharing guidelines.
- Announcements including next meeting date by Bell Master and participants (2-5 minutes)
- Close Sangha:
Recite together, “May the merits of our practice benefit all beings and bring peace.”
In Person Gathering Format (approximate)
When the need has arisen, we have provided childcare once a month.
Please try to arrive 5-10 minutes early so we can set up enough chairs. If you arrive late, please enter quietly and find/take a seat.
We begin by removing our shoes and gathering in the Sanctuary in silence, or with minimal talking as needed. Please come in and find a seat. We will add more chairs or spaces as needed to accommodate the number of participants. If this is your first time, please let the facilitator/ bell inviter know so you can be welcomed.
Bell is invited to open the gathering and all sing “I Have Arrived“
Read short passage from “How to Sit” by TNH
20 min silent sitting meditation
Read short passage from “How to Walk” by TNH
10 min silent walking meditation
10 – 15 min Reading: Most evenings the group take turns reading passages out of the book we are currently reading. On the fourth Thursday we will read the 5 Mindfulness Trainings instead.
20-30 min Dharma sharing: this is a time to support each other by sharing from our hearts. Dharma sharing guidelines are reviewed before starting, and can also be found here.
We close with a series of bells and bows and dedicating the merit of our practice:
“May the merits of our practice benefit all beings and bring peace.”
Announcements will be made at the end of the evening.